[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: Intranet branch security

On Mon, 19 Aug 1996, Gloria Farrell wrote:

> Our company is developing an Intranet.  We are using MS IIS running on an
> NT server.  My problem is that we have four other branch locations which we
> would like to access the Intranet via the Internet.  How can we do this and reasonably insure that unauthorized users will be denied access.

One approach is some form of IP tunneling.  Basically, this means that
two routers connected to the internet package the traffic to flow between
two intranets inside packets which can be routed between the intranets
via the internet. I can't recall the vendor, but there was a vendor
at trade shows I've been at over the past couple years which offered
routers to do this which included encryption. Sorry I can't be more
specific, but perhaps this will help you ask the right questions or
generate another response from the list